- Score: No. 7 New Haven 22, Assumption 17
- Records: New Haven (2-0, 1-0 NE10), Assumption (3-1, 0-1 NE10)
- Location: Davenport, Fla.
- The Lead: Assumption fought back from a seven-goal halftime deficit and closed the gap as close as four in the final 30 minutes of action as No. 7 New Haven was able to escape with a 22-17 victory over the Hounds on Sunday afternoon in the conference opener for both squads.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Assumption came out of the gates slow in the first half and the Chargers were able to take advantage, grabbing a 5-1 lead 12 minutes into the contest. The Hounds pulled back within three, 7-4, but New Haven outscored Assumption 7-3 over the last 12 minutes of the half. Caitlin Graves (Ashland, Mass. / Ashland) led the Hounds with three goals in the period while Amanda Burns (Billerica, Mass. / Billerica Memorial) had two goals and one assist.
- In the second, New Haven stretched its lead to 18-8, before a goal from Emily Spath cut it to nine with 22 minutes left. Assumption fought back and closed the gap to 19-13 before a Charger goal extended the lead back to six. The Hounds then scored four of the next five goals, with Callie Dwyer's (Merrimack, N.H. / Merrimack) free position goal with just under 10 minutes left making it a 20-16 game. Assumption was unable to get any closer and managed one goa in the last five minutes as the team fell by five.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Reilly led the team with five goals and one assist, giving her 105 career points. Graves added three goals and an assist for 101 career points. The duo are the 10th & 11th players in program history to surpass the 100-point plateau and now rank 8th & 9th respectively on the career scoring list.
- Burns had a solid contest with four goals and one assist while Dwyer scored twice for the Hounds and Kailyn Hart (Cohoes, N.Y. / Shaker) chipped in one goal and two assists. Kyra Goucher (Derry, N.H. / Pinkerton Academy) took the loss in net for the Hounds.
- The Hounds return to action on Wednesday when they travel to face No. 4 Le Moyne at 3:30 pm.