- Score: Assumption 19, Bridgeport 3
- Records: Assumption (1-0), Bridgeport (1-1)
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Multi-Sport Stadium)
- The Lead: Assumption jumped out to a 9-0 lead over the first 16 minutes of the contest and the defense allowed just eight total shots on the afternoon as the Hounds opened their season with a dominant 19-3 victory over Bridgeport.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Senior Kailyn Hart (Cohoes, N.Y. / Shaker) and Emily Spath (Franklin, Mass. / Franklin) scored just nine seconds apart in the first four minutes of action to give Assumption a quick 2-0 lead. Sarah Reilly (Fairfield, Conn. / Fairfield-Warde) and Spath made it 4-0, and Helen Tautkus (Laconia, N.H. / Laconia) scored off a Hart feed for a 5-0 advantage at 19:11. The Hounds scored five more times over the next seven minutes to extend their lead to 10-0.
- Bridgeport scored on its first shot attempt of the contest, closing the gap to 10-1 at 11:32. The Purple Knights trimmed it to 10-2 two minutes later, but Jenny Bush (Kennebunk, Maine / Kennebunk) and Reilly each added a goal in the final six minutes of the period for a 12-2 advantage at the break.
- In the second, Bridgeport scored 45 seconds into the period to make it a nine-goal game. However, the defense locked down and didn't allow another goal. Reilly and Tautkus pushed the lead back to 11 with 20 minutes left and Allison Foley (Walpole, Mass. / Walpole) made it 15-3 at 19:02. Tautkus scored off a feed from Brooke Burdon (Bedford, N.H. / Bedford) at 14:12 and Lauren Jakobs (Naples, Maine / Lake Region) stretched the lead to 14. Hart and Reilly each added a goal over the final six minutes for the 19-3 final.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Assumption outshot Bridgeport 41-8 in the contest while winning 14 of 23 draws and picking up 15 more ground balls (25-10). The Hounds also had 17 caused turnovers in the contest.
- Reilly was all over the field with nine points on five goals and four assists, as well as five draws. Hart added eight points on eight goals and eight assists. The senior also surpassed 100 career points in the contest, becoming the 13th player in program history to accomplish that feat. Tautkus recorded her first career hat trick while Olivia Angelo (Miller Place, N.Y. / Miller Place) chipped in one goal, one assist and four ground balls.
- Defensively, Grace McDermott (Franklin, Mass. / Franklin) led the team with five caused turnovers and four ground balls while Marran Oakman (Kennebunk, Maine / Kennebunk) had three of each. Meghan Cushing (Gorham, Maine / Gorham) added three caused turnovers, two ground balls and one draw. Bush led the team with six draw controls.
- Kyra Goucher (Derry, N.H. / Pinkerton Academy) earned the win in net, playing the first 30 minutes of action and allowing two goals. Allie Collins (Natick, Mass. / Natick) played the second half and made four saves while giving up one goal. Cheyanne Gangel took the loss for Bridgeport but finished with 16 saves and 19 goals allowed.
- Assumption looks to start its season 2-0 when the Hounds travel to face Roberts Wesleyan on Saturday at 1 p.m.