- Score: No. 12/21 Assumption 20, Saint Michael's 8
- Records: Assumption (4-0, 1-0 NE10), St. Michael's (1-1, 0-1 NE10)
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Multi-Sport Stadium)
- The Lead: Assumption outscored Saint Michael's 10-4 in each half to come away with a hard-fought 20-8 victory over the Purple Knights on Saturday in conference action.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- St. Michael's opened the scoring three minutes into the contest for a 1-0 lead. Two minutes later Sarah Reilly (Fairfield, Conn. / Fairfield-Warde) answered off a feed from Kailyn Hart (Cohoes, N.Y. / Shaker) and Lauren Jakobs (Naples, Maine / Lake Region) scored at 22:24 for a 2-1 advantage. Reilly pushed it to 3-1 and Olivia Angelo (Miller Place, N.Y. / Miller Place) made it 4-1 at 16:25. The Purple Knights scored with 14:01 left to trail just 4-2.
- Emily Spath (Franklin, Mass. / Franklin) extended the lead to 5-2, jumpstarting a 3-0 run with goals by Reilly and Callie Dwyer (Merrimack, N.H. / Merrimack) to make it a 7-2 contest with 8:21 left. Each team scored twice over the next eight minutes, though Jakobs tallied a goal with just 16 seconds left off an Angelo feed to lead 10-4 at the half.
- The Purple Knights and Hounds each scored twice over the first ten minutes of the second. Helen Tautkus (Laconia, N.H. / Laconia) pushed it to a 13-6 lead at 18:49, but Saint Michael's responded one minute later to pull within six, 13-7. Assumption scored three straight goals over a four-minute period on goals by Hart, Reilly and Jill Good (North Andover, Mass. / North Andover) to take a 16-7 lead with 11 minutes left. The Purple Knights answered with 8:27 left, but the Hounds tallied with the final four goals of the contest to secure the 20-8 victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Assumption outshot Saint Michael's 40-19 in the contest while winning 23 draw controls to just seven for the Purple Knights. The Hounds also held a slight edge in ground balls (20-17) and caused turnovers (22-14).
- Dwyer posted a career-high seven points on five goals and two assists with three ground balls and two caused turnovers. Reilly added five goals, nine draws and two caused turnovers. Hart and Spath each posted two goals and three assists while Jakobs had two goals, one assists and seven draws.
- Grace McDermott (Franklin, Mass. / Franklin) forced a school-record seven caused turnovers with five ground balls while Marran Oakman (Kennebunk, Maine / Kennebunk) added three caused turnovers, five draw controls and two ground balls while. Freshman Allie Collins (Natick, Mass. / Natick) made four saves with eight goals allowed and picked up four ground balls to improve to 4-0 on the year.
-Alex Vincent had three goals and one assists for St. Michael's while Victoria Putnam took the loss as she played the first 30 minutes and allowed ten goals with three saves. Lucy Chin stopped five shots with ten goals allowed in the second half.
- Assumption improved to 5-0 for just the third time in program history with their win over Saint Michael's. It also matches the longest winning streak in program history.
- Assumption returns to action on Tuesday when the team travels to face No. 23 Bentley at 7 p.m.