- Score: No. 13/20 Bentley 13, No. 9/19 Assumption 12 - 2OT
- Records: Bentley (4-0, 2-0 NE10), Assumption (5-1, 2-1 NE10)
- Location: Waltham, Mass. (Bentley Field)
- The Lead: No. 13/20 Bentley scored with just 1.1 seconds remaining in the second overtime as the Falcons came back from a four-goal second-half deficit to stun No. 9/19 Assumption 13-12 on Tuesday evening in conference action.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Bentley scored 25 seconds into the contest and held Assumption scoreless for the first ten minutes of the contest for the early lead. Meghan Cushing (Gorham, Maine / Gorham) got the Hounds on the board at 19:36 and Kailyn Hart (Cohoes, N.Y. / Shaker) followed one minute later with a goal for a 2-1 lead. Helen Tautkus (Laconia, N.H. / Laconia) pushed it to 3-1 off a feed from Emily Spath (Franklin, Mass. / Franklin).
- Two straight from the Falcons evened the score up 3-3 with 15:54 left in the half. However, Spath put Assumption back in front at 15:21. Junior Callie Dwyer (Merrimack, N.H. / Merrimack) and senior Sarah Reilly (Fairfield, Conn. / Fairfield-Warde) each added goals in the last ten minutes as Assumption went into the half leading 6-3.
- The Falcons led off the scoring in the second half, though back-to-back goals from Hart and Reilly one minute apart made it an 8-4 contest five minutes into the period. Bentley countered with consecutive tallies to pull within two before Reilly pushed it back to 9-6 midway through the period.
- A 2-1 run by Assumption stretched the lead to 11-7 with 10:39 left. Bentley answered 30 seconds later and scored two more goals over the following six minutes to pull within one, 11-10, with 4:21 left. The Falcons tied it up with 2:56 remaining, however, Reilly scored with just 1:37 left to grab a 12-11 lead. Bentley tallied the game-tying goal with 1:14 left to send the game to overtime.
- Assumption won the first draw of overtime was unable to get off a shot, however, Allie Collins (Natick, Mass. / Natick) came up with a save with 21 seconds to send the game to a second OT. The Hounds had four shots in the second overtime, including one which was saved with 29 seconds left. Bentley took the possession and managed to get the ball down the field for the game-winner with 1.1 seconds left.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Assumption outshot Bentley 34-31 and grabbed more draw controls, 17-11, while both teams picked up 23 ground balls. The Hounds had 14 caused turnovers to eight for the Falcons.
- Reilly scored four goals on ten shots with eight draw controls while Hart tallied a hat trick with four ground balls. Olivia Angelo (Miller Place, N.Y. / Miller Place) added three points on one goal and two assists, along with two ground balls and three caused turnovers. Collins took the loss in net as she gave up 13 goals with seven saves.
- Cara McCarthy scored six goals to lead the Bentley offense while MaryKate Staines had one goal and three assists. Eliza Bresler earned the win as she made 15 saves while allowing 12 goals.
- Assumption returns to action on Friday when the team travels to face No. 2 Adelphi at 6 p.m.