- Score: No. 19 Assumption 21, Molloy 20
- Records: Assumption (6-2, 2-2 NE10), Molloy (8-4, 2-1 ECC),
- Location: Rockville Centre, N.Y. (RVC Sports Complex)
- The Lead: No. 19 Assumption fought back from a four-goal second-half deficit to take a late lead, only to have Molloy send the game to overtime by scoring with 21 seconds left in regulation. One minute into overtime, Emily Spath (Franklin, Mass. / Franklin) found Sarah Reilly (Fairfield, Conn. / Fairfield-Warde) for the game-winner, lifting the Hounds to a 21-20 victory.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Spath gave Assumption a 1-0 lead just 72 seconds into the contest, but Molloy answered quickly. With the score 2-2 after ten minutes of play, the Hounds scored three straight on goals by Helen Tautkus (Laconia, N.H. / Laconia), Meghan Cushing (Gorham, Maine / Gorham) and Olivia Angelo (Miller Place, N.Y. / Miller Place) for a 5-2 lead midway through the period. The Lions countered with a 3-0 spurt to even the score 5-5 with 9:55 left.
- Tautkus and Allison Foley (Walpole, Mass. / Walpole) each scored for a 7-5 lead and the teams traded goals over the next two minutes for an 8-6 margin with four minutes left. Molloy tallied three consecutive goals in a three-minute span to take a 9-8 lead. Each team scored twice in the final two minutes for an 11-10 Lion lead at the half.
- Molloy outscored Assumption 4-1 during the first six minutes of the second half to push its lead to 15-11. Spath ended the run, but two more Lion goals and one from Reilly made it a 17-13 contest with 18:51 remaining. Angelo started the comeback with 16:23 left and Callie Dwyer (Merrimack, N.H. / Merrimack) cut it to a two-goal game before back-to-back goals by Spath evened the score 17-17 at 12:53.
- Molloy answered at 11:00 but two straight from the Hounds gave them a 19-18 lead with six minutes left. The Lions tied it up with 1:39 remaining. Cushing came through with the go-ahead goal with 37 second left, however, Molloy sent the game to overtime by scoring with just 21 seconds remaining.
- Marran Oakman (Kennebunk, Maine / Kennebunk) won the only draw of overtime and Assumption worked the ball around to set up a final play. One minute into OT, Spath tossed a pass from behind the net to a cutting Reilly, who fired home the game winner.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Assumption outshot Molloy 42-32 in the contest while winning 12 more draw controls (26-14). Both teams picked up 18 ground balls, though the Hounds had one more caused turnover (8-7).
- Spath posted a career-high 12 points on five goals and seven assists. The seven assists is a new single-game school record, breaking the mark of six which had been done three times. The 12 points is the second-highest total in program history, just one behind the record of 13. Reilly came through with two goals, two assists and four draws while Cushing posted three goals, six draw controls and two ground balls.
- Defensively, Haley Rose (Wading River, N.Y. / Shoreham Wading River) had two ground balls and two caused turnovers while Lauren Jakobs (Naples, Maine / Lake Region) added three ground balls, two draws and one caused turnover. Allie Collins (Natick, Mass. / Natick) earned the win in net as she played 53:03 with seven saves while giving up 15 goals. Allie Long took the loss for Molloy has she allowed 21 goals while making 12 saves.
- Assumption returns to action on Saturday when the team faces nationally ranked New Haven at 1 p.m.