- Score: No. 20 Assumption 21, No. 16 New Haven
- Records: Assumption (6-2, 2-2 NE10), New Haven (5-4, 2-3 NE10)
- Location: Rockville Centre, N.Y. (RVC Sports Complex)
- The Lead: No. 20 Assumption fell behind 3-0 in the opening minutes but fired back with the next eight goals and never let the lead drop below four again as the Hounds came away with the impressive 16-0 victory over No. 16 New Haven on Saturday afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- New Haven jumped out to a 3-0 lead in the opening six minutes of the contest, forcing an Assumption timeout. Olivia Angelo (Miller Place, N.Y. / Miller Place) put the Hounds on the board at 23:55 and Callie Dwyer (Merrimack, N.H. / Merrimack) scored 23 seconds later to cut the deficit to one. Helen Tautkus (Laconia, N.H. / Laconia) evened the sored at 3-3 with 20:54 left. Assumption added five more goals over the next 12 minutes to stretch their lead to 8-3, including two by Kailyn Hart (Cohoes, N.Y. / Shaker).
- The Chargers finally ended the run with a goal at 8:09. However, Emily Spath (Franklin, Mass. / Franklin) made it a five-goal game at 4:20 and the Hounds added goals by Hart and Spath in the final three minutes to go into the half with an 11-4 advantage.
- In the second, New Haven outscored Assumption 2-1 over the first six minutes to pull within six. Back-to-back goals by Hart and Angelo stretched the lead to 14-6 with 10:51 left in regulation. The Chargers scored twice in a three-minute span to cut it to six, though Hart scored and Sarah Reilly (Fairfield, Conn. / Fairfield-Warde) added a goal with 2:35 left to extend it to 16-8. New Haven tallied two goals in the final two minutes for the 16-10 final.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- The Hounds held a dominant 24-7 shot edge in the first half and finished with 11 more total, 36-25. They also picked up more ground balls (19-14), won more draws (17-11) and had seven more caused turnovers (19-12).
- Spath had six assists and two goals for eight total points on the day while Hart came through with five goals on seven shots. Tautkus added two goals and four draws while Angelo had three goals and one assist. Reilly chipped in two goals, one assists, five draws and three ground balls.
- Defensively, Marran Oakman (Kennebunk, Maine / Kennebunk) and Grace McDermott (Franklin, Mass. / Franklin) each had three caused turnovers, while Lexi Finn (Denville, N.J. / Morris Catholic) added a pair with two ground balls. Allie Collins (Natick, Mass. / Natick) earned the win in net as she made ten saves and allowed ten goals.
- Gianna Guerra took the loss in net as she allowed 16 goals while making 14 saves. Marian Skelly scored four times while the Assumption defense held the NE10's leading scorer Mackenzie Reh to just one goal, which she scored in the final two minutes.
- Today's win over New Haven is the first for the Hounds over the Chargers in program history. Assumption's 7-2 start is the second best in program history, trailing the program's 7-1 record to begin the 2015 season.
- Assumption returns to action on Tuesday when the team hosts top ranked Le Moyne at 4 p.m.