- Score: No. 19 Pace 13, No. 17 Assumption 11
- Records: Pace (8-6, 6-4 NE10), Assumption (10-4, 6-4 NE10),
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Multi-Sport Stadium)
- The Lead: Assumption jumped out to a 5-1 lead in the first 11 minutes, however, 19th ranked Pace responded with an 8-1 run over the next 23 minutes of action to take the lead for good and escape with a 13-11 victory on Tuesday evening.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Pace scored just 48 seconds into the contest, however, Jill Good (North Andover, Mass. / North Andover) scored twice and Kailyn Hart (Cohoes, N.Y. / Shaker) added another over the next eight minutes for a 3-1 advantage. Back-to-back goals by Olivia Angelo (Miller Place, N.Y. / Miller Place) stretched the lead to 5-1 at 19:58. The Setters answered with four straight goals over a seven-minute span to tie it at five apiece. Meghan Cushing (Gorham, Maine / Gorham) gave Assumption a 6-5 lead with 8:24 remaining, though Pace knotted it back up to go into the half even 6-6.
- The Setters scored three times in the opening five minutes of the second to grab a 9-6 lead. Angelo ended the run with 24:45 left and Sarah Reilly (Fairfield, Conn. / Fairfield-Warde) cut it to 9-8 at 17:24. Pace responded with a goal four minutes later for a 10-8 advantage with ten minutes remaining.
- Emily Spath (Franklin, Mass. / Franklin) trimmed it to 10-9 at 9:23, but the Setters countered with consecutive goals for a 12-9 advantage with 5:57 remaining. Reilly made it 12-10 just 13 seconds later. Pace won the ensuing draw and managed to extend it to 13-10 before a late goal by Spath trimmed it to two once again. Another draw win for the Setters sealed the victory, 13-11, as they were able to run out the clock.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Pace outshot Assumption 33-30, including an 18-11 edge in the second half. The Setters also won more draw controls (14-12) and picked up more ground balls (25-17). Both teams had 11 caused turnovers and the Hounds were just 18-for-24 on clears.
- Reilly and Spath each had two goals and two assists, while Angelo added a hat trick with two ground balls and a caused turnover. Reilly picked up six draws. Sophomore Marran Oakman (Kennebunk, Maine / Kennebunk) led the defense with four caused turnovers, four draws and two ground balls while Grace McDermott (Franklin, Mass. / Franklin) had two caused turnovers.
- In net, Allie Collins (Natick, Mass. / Natick) took the loss as she stopped a career-high 13 shots and gave up 13 goals. Sienna Masullo earned the win by making eight saves and allowing 11 goals. Kayla Conway led Pace with five goals and four draws.
- Assumption returns to action on Thursday when the team travels to play Franklin Pierce at 3 p.m.