- Score: No. 1 Franklin Pierce 3, No. 6 Assumption 0 - NE10 Championship
- Records: Franklin Pierce (15-1-2), Assumption (11-7-2),
- Location: Ringe, N.H. (Sodexo Field)
- The Lead: Despite several diving stops by Assumption goalkeeper Alexis Nason (Saco, Maine / Thornton Academy), the top seeded Franklin Pierce Ravens still found the back of the net on three different occasions to defeat the No. 6 Hounds 3-0 in the NE10 Championship on Sunday evening.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Ravens led 1-0 at halftime. At the 21:14 mark, Gabi Pereira shook the Hounds' defensive unit and got to the left side. She ripped a shot from 18-yards out and found the back of the net to give the Ravens a 1-0 lead.
- Franklin Pierce put two more on the board in the second-half. Sophie Cousineau gave her team a 2-0 lead at the 62:46 mark on a pass from Pereira. Cousineau took the pass and put a well-placed shot into the corner of the net to give her team a two-goal lead. Bruna Tavares then added an insurance goal at the 86:36 mark. She beat the Assumption defender, getting the ball through her legs, and made her way up the left side of the field to put the Ravens up 3-0.
- Nason made several important saves within the second-half to keep the game close. She made one particularly impressive save in the second-half when she dove at a ball destined for the back of the net and corralled it with her outstretched arms to prevent Franklin Pierce from scoring. Nason made nine saves in the second half.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Franklin Pierce outshot the Hounds 26-5, while both teams had four corner kicks, all coming in the second-half. Kallie Villemaire (Plattsburgh, N.Y. / Beekmantown) led the Hounds with three shots.
- Nason made 10 saves for the Hounds in the loss and fell to 10-7-2. It was her first loss since October 2. Casey Kane made three saves for the Ravens and improved to 12-1-2 on the year.
- It was the Hounds' first NE10 Championship Appearance since 2014. To get to the NE10 championship game, they upsetted No. 3 Stonehill in the quarterfinals round and then No. 2 Southern N.H. in the semifinals. They had also gone unbeaten in their previous nine matchups.
-The Ravens earn an automatic berth in the NCAA Championship while the Hounds will wait out tomorrow's NCAA selection show to see if they get a bid.