- Score: Assumption 1, American International 0
- Records: Assumption (2-0-0, 1-0-0 NE10), American International (1-2-0, 0-1-0 NE10)
- Location: Worcester, Mass (Multi-Sport Stadium)
- The Lead: Brooke Shatney (Weare, N.H. / John Stark Regional) scored the lone goal at the 77:41 mark to lead the Assumption Greyhounds 1-0 over conference-foe American International Yellow Jackets in a hard-fought match on Friday afternoon at the Multi-Sport Stadium.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
-Shatney's goal came from a nice set-up by teammates Morgan Paquin (Mapleville, R.I. / Lasalle Academy / Sacred Heart) and Annie Irwin (Norwood, Mass. / Montrose School). Paquin wrestled for a loose ball on a kick into the offensive from the Hounds. Paquin found Irwin, who forced her way past the defender and got the ball right to Shatney, who had a quick touch into the back of the net.
-The Hounds then had to fight off a consistent attack from the Yellow Jackets. They blocked a shot by American International's Makayla Bigard within the final five minutes of play and then turned away a corner kick from the Yellow Jackets that was touched by several American International players without allowing another shot.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
-Assumption outshot the Yellow Jackets 22-15, while Katie Hammer (Greenlawn, N.Y. / Harborfields) made seven saves for the shutout. Hammer played a vital role in the shutout, making several lunging saves on hard shot balls.
-Paquin's assist gives her at least one point in each of her first two games with the Hounds. She scored a goal in her team's 3-0 win in their season opener. Irwin, a freshman, now has two assists in her first two games as well. Shatney also has one goal and one assist now.
-Hammer improved to 1-0-0 on the year and earned the shutout. Tamra Zippin fell to 0-1-0 for the Yellow Jackets but made eight saves.
- The Hounds host Georgian Court on Wednesday, September 18, at 3:30 p.m.