- Score: Assumption 1, Southern Conn. St. 1 (2OT)
- Records: Assumption (3-0-1, 1-0-1 NE10), Southern Conn. St. (4-1-1, 2-1-1 NE10)
- Location: Worcester, Mass (Multi-Sport Stadium)
- The Lead: The Assumption Greyhounds rallied late, tying the game late in the second half, but could not find the game-winner against the Southern Connecticut St. Owls, ending Tuesday's game in a 1-1 tie.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
-The Owls jumped on the board first. At the 40:53 mark, Johanna Wahlen got a nice threw pass from teammate Julia Alicea. Wahlen sent a shot across the box, forcing Hounds goalie Alexis Nason (Saco, Maine / Thornton Academy) to sprawl out for it, but the ball found the bottom left corner of the net for the 1-0 lead.
-Assumption then rallied late in the second half to tie the game. Annie Irwin (Norwood, Mass. / Montrose School) scored in similar fashion to Wahlen, getting a pass from teammate Brooke Shatney (Weare, N.H. / John Stark Regional) and put it home on a shot that went across the box.
-Both teams fought for the game-winner in overtime, but to no avail. The Hounds applied pressure often, forcing a shot in each overtime period, but could not come away with a goal. Morgan Paquin (Mapleville, R.I. / Lasalle Academy / Sacred Heart) had a blistering shot that caused the crowd to gasp, but Southern Conn. St. goalie Allie Smith made the save about chest high.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
-The Hounds outshot the Owls 18-16 and produced three corners to Southern Conn. St.'s two. Three players shared a team-high four shots for the Hounds, while Wahlen led Southern Conn. St. with four.
-Tuesday marked the second time this season Irwin and Shatney connected on a goal as the two created the game-winner in a 1-0 win over American International back on September 13. Both players have one goal and two assists so far this season.
-Wahlen's goal was the first on the year against the Hounds, who had posted three straight shutouts prior to Tuesday's contest.
-Nason made six saves and moved to 1-0-1 on the year. Smith made 10 saves and moved to 4-1-1 on the year.
- The Hounds travel to Pace for a conference game starting at 6 p.m. on Saturday, September, 28.