- Score: Assumption 2, Le Moyne 1
- Records: Assumption (5-2-1, 3-2-1 NE10), Le Moyne (1-8-1, 0-6-1 NE10)
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Multi-Sport Stadium)
- The Lead: Sydney Huckabee (Akron, Ohio / Archbishop Hoban) knocked in a rebound shot on an open net and Alexis Nason (Saco, Maine / Thornton Academy) made several important stops and the Assumption Greyhounds defeated the Le Moyne Dolphins 2-1 on Tuesday afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
-At the 63:40 mark, Victoria Stowell (Franklin, Mass. / Franklin) took a free kick just outside the box and sent it right in front of the net, just a mere feet from the goal. Johnna Caporuscio (Wayne, N.J. / Wayne Hills) was first to the ball, placing a shot on net in front of two Le Moyne defenders. The rebound went straight to Huckabee, who then put the ball into the back of the net with just one touch to put the Hounds up 2-0.
-The Dolphins did get one back at 75:31, pulling within one when Lainey Foti intercepted a Hounds ball and on a one-on-one attempt against Nason. However, the Dolphins could not pull any closer as Nason made four saves within the second half, including a diving stop on a breakaway by Amya Naja within the final 10 minutes of play and two more grabs to prevent Dolphin scores.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
-Le Moyne held a 20-14 shot advantage, while both teams had four corner kicks. Stowell led the Hounds with three shots.
-Huckabee's goal was the first of the season for her, giving her one goal and two assists on the year. It came at a good time too, as the goal stood as the game winner, her second of her career.
-Brooke Shatney (Weare, N.H. / John Stark Regional) also added one assist during the game. The assist gives her four on the year and one goal and two assists in her last two games.
-Nason earned the win by making eight saves, improving to 3-2-1 on the year and lowering her goals against average to just 1.40. Shannon Bennison made five saves for the Dolphins, but fell to 1-8-1 overall.
- The Hounds travel to Saint Rose for a 2 p.m. start on Saturday, October 12.