- Score: Assumption 2, Bridgeport 0
- Records: Assumption (7-2-1, 4-2-1 NE10), Bridgeport (6-5-1, 4-0-0 ECC)
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Multi-Sport Stadium)
- The Lead: The Assumption Greyhounds kept things rolling on Wednesday, defeating the defending national champions Bridgeport Purple Knights 2-0, moving their win streak to four games and moving five games above .500 with six left on the schedule.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
-The Purple Knights moved the ball well, possessing for 60% of play and producing 18 total shots, but the Hounds' defense came through big, allowing only six shots on goal, including only one in the second half. Alexis Nason (Saco, Maine / Thornton Academy) also stopped all six shots she faced in the team's fourth shutout this season and her second.
-Alexis Stowell (Franklin, Mass. / Franklin) then netted a goal for the third straight contest, putting her team up 1-0 at the 37:51 mark in the first half. Teammate Brooke Shatney (Weare, N.H. / John Stark Regional) set her up with a high bounding ball in the offensive zone, in which Stowell gained possession amidst two defenders and broke free, putting the ball into the bottom corner for the 1-0 lead.
-Diana Bruggeman (Natick, Mass. / Natick) added an insurance goal at the 63:14 mark to put her team up 2-0. On a free kick by Emma Mailman (Rutland, Mass. / Wachusett Regional), Bruggeman put a touch on the ball that just got by the goalkeeper, slowly rolling into the back of the net to put her team up by two.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
-Bridgeport outshot the Hounds 18-10, while the Purple Knights also held the advantage in corner kicks, 5-4, producing all five corners in the second half. Stowell led the team with three shots on net.
-Stowell has now scored in three straight contests, giving her a team-high four goals on the year. She also leads the team with 10 points and has set career-highs in goals, points and shots.
-Shatney's assist also ties her career-high with five in the season. She has produced one assist in three of her last four games and four in her last seven.
-Nason made six saves and improved to 5-2-1 on the year. She is 4-0-0 in her last four contests, playing to a 0.75 goals against average and a .850 save percentage during that span. Helena Dahlstrom made two saves but fell to 4-2-1 on the year.
- The Hounds travel to No. 22 Southern N.H. on Saturday, October 19, with kickoff set for 4 p.m.