- Scores: NYIT 5, Assumption 2
- Records: NYI (16-4), Assumption (9-7)
- Location: Old Westbury, N.Y.
- The Lead: Assumption took two of three doubles matches for an early 1-0 lead, but was only able to capture one of six singles matches as NYIT came back to earn a 5-2 victory on Thursday afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The duo of Julia Chappell (Manchester, N.H. / Manchester Central) and Maria Monje (Worcester, Mass. / Holy Name) came through with a 6-4 victory at No. 1 singles. Freshman Ana Escudero (Rockville, Md. / Richard Montgomery) and sophomore Veronica Op (Westford, Mass. / Westford Academy) secured a 6-3 win at No. 3 to earn the doubles point.
- In singles, Escudero took her match in straight sets, winning 6-0, 6-2 at fifth flight singles. Chappell dropped the first set at No. 1 by a 6-3 margin but took the second 6-3. She was unable to complete the comeback and fell 6-2 in the final set. Assumption dropped No. 2, 3, 4 and No. 6 in straight sets.