- Location: Alden Invitational (Providence, R.I.)
- The Lead: Assumption had five different student-athletes earn at least one fifth place finish and three set school records as the Hounds opened their season Saturday at the Alden Invitational at Brown University.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Freshman Victoria Steffon (Holden, Mass. / Wachusett) came through with an impressive fifth place finish in her first-ever meet, taking fifth in the 200 meters with a time of 27.00. Classmate Claudia Koontz (Concord, Mass. / Concord-Carlisle), meanwhile, took sixth in the 300 meters in 41.78, setting a new school record in the process.
- Senior Abby Jones (Arlington, Mass. / Arlington) placed fifth overall in the high jump, with her mark of 5'1.75". Sophomore Amelie Legg (Hamden, N.Y. / Delaware Academy), took fifth in the pole vault with a height of 9'5.75".
- Classmate Sarah Miller (Hanover, Mass. / Hanover), meanwhile, took third in the long jump with distance of 17'11.75 inches and Katherine Eckerson (Simsbury, Conn. / Westminster) placed ninth in the event with a distance of 16'8". Miller also took seventh in the triple jump with a school-record distance of 36'11.75", while Eckerson placed ninth at 36'6.25 inches.
- Junior Emily Casella (Athol, Mass. / Athol) set a new school record in the shot put by over one foot with a throw of 43'3" to take fifth, while classmate Roxann Wint (Boston, Mass. / Newton North) was one spot behind her in sixth with a distance of 40'3.5". Casella also took sixth in the weight throw with a distance of 44'6". Megan Sheehan (Newton, N.H. / Sanborn Regional) placed eighth while Jillian Shenian (Whitinsville, Mass. / Northbridge) was ninth in the event.
- The whole team returns to action on January 11, when they compete at the Spartan Invitational on Staten Island.