- Event: NE10 Championships
- Place: 48 points – 2nd/12
- Location: Smith College (Northhampton, Mass.)
- The Lead: On the first day of the NE10 Championships, seniors Abby Jones (Arlington, Mass. / Arlington) and Sarah Miller (Hanover, Mass. / Hanover) both won individual NE10 Titles and the Hounds broke five school records to move into to second place with one day of competition remaining.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Jones captured her second straight NE10 Title in the pentathlon, winning the event with 3,457 points. Sophomore Emma Santee (Westerly, R.I. / Westerly) placed third overall with 3,009 points while Therese Rembetsy-Brown (Westminster, Mass. / Oakmont Regional) took fifth with a score of 2933, a new personal best. Olivia DeMonico (North Reading, Mass. / North Reading) rounded out the group in seventh with 2800 points.
- Jones started the weekend off well with a school record in the 60 meter hurdles, finishing in 9.13 seconds, breaking the school record by more than .25 seconds. She also won the high jump (1.65m) and the long jump in a distance of 5.37 meters. Santee, meanwhile, won the 800 meters (2:29.14), while Rembetsy-Brown took first in the shot put (11.41m).
- Miller continued her excellent senior season, winning the long jump with a DII provisional height of 5.81 meters. She orginally broke the school record on her first attempt with a jump of 5.65 meters. She was then passed, but on her final leap hit her new school-record mark and won the event by .11 meters for her first NE10 Title. The final jump was also one of the top 15 in Division II this year. Jones, meanwhile, finished sixth in the event with a distance of 5.50 meters.
- Junior Roxann Wint (Boston, Mass. / Newton North) came through with a fifth place finish in the weight throw, setting a new school record in the process. Her a distance of 15.66 meters was more than a meter greater than the previous school record, which she set last year.
- Assumption distance medley relay earned a second place finish with a new school record time of 12:27.79. Freshman Grace Corbett (Merrimack, N.H / Merrimack) led off, followed by Madeleine Iassogna (Marietta, Ga. / Blessed Trinity Catholic), Meghan Slinskey (Fishkill, N.Y. / Our Lady of Lourdes) and Kialeigh Marston (Standish, Maine / Bonny Eagle).
- Sophomore Amelie Legg (Hamden, N.Y. / Delaware Academy) placed eighth in the pole vault with a leap of 3.07 meters to earn a point for the Hounds.
- In qualifying action, freshman Victoria Steffon (Holden, Mass. / Wachusett Regional) earned spots in the final heats of the 60 meters and 200 meters. Steffon finished with a new school-record time of 7.83 in the 60m and then 25.72 in the 200m. Classmate Claudia Koontz (Concord, Mass. / Concord-Carlisle) also reached the 200m finals in her time of 25.96 seconds.
- The team returns to Smith College on Sunday for day two of the NE10 Championships. Live stats and video can be found on www.assumptiongreyhounds.com.