- Event: NE10 Championships
- Place: 120 points – 2nd/12
- Location: Smith College (Northampton, Mass.)
- The Lead: Assumption women's track and field used an impressive performance from its throwers along with a pair of NE10 titles, in the 1 mile and 4x800 relay, to leave no doubt about the Hounds earning a runner-up finish in the NE10 Championships for the first time in program history on Sunday.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Junior Kialeigh Marston (Standish, Maine / Bonny Eagle) won her second career individual NE10 Title, winning the 1 mile race in a time of 5:03.72. Marston trailed going into the final lap, but made her move and won the event by nearly three seconds.
- Marston was also a key member of the NE10 Championship 4x800 relay, which set a new school record with their time of 9:37.47. Junior Alicia Polak (Lowell, Mass. / Lowell) led off, followed by Marston who got the team in first. Liz Letizio (Westerly, R.I. / Westerly) kept them there for Meghan Slinskey (Fishkill, N.Y. / Our Lady of Lourdes) who extended the lead and helped them win the event by more than four seconds. In the 800 meters, Slinskey placed seventh individually with a time of 2:22.55.
- In the shot put, Assumption had three throwers in the top four, led by Emily Casella (Athol, Mass. / Athol) who placed second with a school-record toss of 13.56 meters. Casella broke the school record after sophomore Mikaylah Schwartz (Dracut, Mass. / Dracut) broke it initially with a record toss of 13.50 meters. Schwartz took third in the event while Roxann Wint (Boston, Mass. / Newton North) placed fifth with a throw of 12.99 meters.
- Freshman Victoria Steffon (Holden, Mass. / Wachusett Regional) came away with a third place finish in the 60 meter dash with a time of 7.84 seconds, just 0.01 seconds off her school-record. She followed it up by placing fourth in the 200 meters with a time of 25.83 seconds. Classmate Claudia Koontz (Concord, Mass. / Concord-Carlisle) was one spot behind her in the 200 with a time of 26.00 seconds. Koontz also took sixth in the 400 with a time of 59.59 seconds.
- Senior Abby Jones (Arlington, Mass. / Arlington) earned a fourth place finish in the high jump with a mark of 1.61 meters. In the triple jump, junior Nicole McMorrow (Milford, N.H. / Milford) placed fifth overall with a leap of 11.51 meters.
- Assumption's 4x400 relay took fifth overall with its time of 4:05.25. Koontz led off, followed by Maura Geoghegan (Foxborough, Mass. / Foxborough), Emma Santee (Westerly, R.I. / Westerly) and Madeleine Iassogna (Marietta, Ga. / Blessed Trinity Catholic).
INSIDE THE RESULTS:
- Jones was named the NE10's Most Outstanding Field Performer after winning the pentathlon on Saturday and then taking fourth in the high jump on Sunday. This marks the second consecutive year she has earned the award at the indoor championships, along with her second straight pentathlon title.
-Assumption earned the program's first-ever runner-up finish, with 120 points. Stonehill won the NE10 Championship with 166 points, while Southern Connecticut State was a distant third with 68 points and AIC placed fourth (62).
- The program's previous best finish was fourth overall, which took place last year. The Hounds were fourth with 91 points, behind Stonehill (165), Southern Conn. (118) and AIC (99).