- Event: Coastal Caroline Invitational
- Dates: March 8-9, 2019
- Location: Myrtle Beach, S.C. (Doug Shaw Memorial Stadium)
- The Lead: The Assumption women's track & field team began its outdoor season at the Coastal Carolina Invitational, setting three school records and putting forth a number of impressive performances.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- On Friday, Assumption's 4x200 relay set a new school record and took fourth with its time of 1:43.69. The quartet of Claudia Koontz (Concord, Mass. / Concord-Carlisle), Nicole McMorrow (Milford, N.H. / Milford), Emma Santee (Westerly, R.I. / Westerly) and Victoria Steffon (Holden, Mass. / Wachusett Regional) broke the old record which was set back in 2006. On Saturday the quartet came through with a new school record in the 4x100 with a time of 48.83 seconds, finishing second in the event.
- Senior Meghan Slinskey (Fishkill, N.Y. / Our Lady of Lourdes) placed eighth in the 1500 meters in a time of 4:55.98, while Grace Corbett (Merrimack, N.H / Merrimack) was one spot behind her in a time of 4:58.15. Sophomore Tressa Novack (Scotch Plains, N.J. / Union Catholic) took sixth in the 5000 meters with a time of 18:54.52.
- Steffon set a new school record in the 100 meters in her first collegiate outdoor competition, taking second in the event with a time of 12.29 seconds. It broke the old record set by Greta Scott in 2017. Koontz took ninth with her time of 12.64 seconds. In the 200 meters, Steffon was fifth in 25.59 seconds while Koontz was eighth in her time of 26.12 seconds.
- Junior Kialeigh Marston (Standish, Maine / Bonny Eagle) won the 3000 meter steeplechase with her time of 11:16.50, eight seconds faster than the second place finisher.
- In the triple jump, sophomore Katherine Eckerson (Simsbury, Conn. / Westminster School) placed third with a distance of 11.09 meters. She also took seventh in the long jump with a distance of 5.31 meters. Amelie Legg (Hamden, N.Y. / Delaware Academy), meanwhile, took ninth in the pole vault with a height of 2.75 meters.
- Junior Emily Casella (Athol, Mass. / Athol) placed sixth in the shot put with a toss of 12.75 meters while Mikaylah Schwartz (Dracut, Mass. / Dracut) was eighth at 12.31 meters. Casella then took fourth in the discus with a throw of 39.06 meters while Megan Sheehan (Newton, N.H. / Sanborn Regional) was eighth in 36.13 meters.
- In the javelin, Caroline Leonard (Northborough, Mass. / Algonquin Regional) finished second with her throw of 41.94 meters. Senior Leslie Roda (New Bedford, Mass. / New Bedford) was fourth with a toss of 37.46 meters.
- The team returns to action on March 29 when Assumption competes in the Black and Gold Invitational at Bryant University.