- Event: Black & Gold Invitational
- Place: 9th/13
- Dates: March 29-30, 2019
- Location: Smithfield, R.I.
- The Lead: The Assumption women's track & field team had a number of strong performances this past weekend at the Black & Gold Invitational to take fifth out of 12 teams during the weekend.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Freshman Victoria Steffon (Holden, Mass. / Wachusett Regional) won the 100 meters, taking the event in 12.38 seconds. She also took fourth in the 200 meters with a time of 25.78 seconds. Classmate Claudia Koontz (Concord, Mass. / Concord-Carlisle) was 10th in the 200 meters with a time of 25.78 seconds.
- Junior Kialeigh Marston (Standish, Maine / Bonny Eagle) set a new school record in the 1500 meters with her time of 4:38.64, breaking her own record by four seconds. The time is the best in the region this season.
- In the 5000 meters, Assumption had two finish in the top six. Freshman Grace Corbett (Merrimack, N.H / Merrimack) placed third in a time of 18:35.09, while sophomore Tressa Novack (Scotch Plains, N.J. / Union Catholic) was sixth in 19:11.38.
- Junior Olivia DeMonico (North Reading, Mass. / North Reading) came through with a ninth place finish in the 100 meter hurdles in a time of 16.74 meters. Classmate Madison Soullier (Cumberland, R.I. / Cumberland) took ninth in the 400 meter hurdles with her time of 1:07.69 seconds.
- Assumption's 4x100 relay set a new school record, breaking the one which had be set earlier this month. The quarter of Koontz, Abby Jones (Arlington, Mass. / Arlington), Emma Santee (Westerly, R.I. / Westerly) and Steffon finished in 48.73 seconds.
- Sophomore Amelie Legg (Hamden, N.Y. / Delaware Academy) came through with a fifth place finish in the pole vault. She reached a height of 3.10 meters, while Gianna Rousseau (Cumberland, R.I. / Cumberland) was 10th in 2.50 meters.
- In the long jump, senior Sarah Miller (Hanover, Mass. / Hanover) took fifth with her distance of 5.39 meters. Sophomore Katherine Eckerson (Simsbury, Conn. / Westminster School) was close behind her in seventh with a jump of 5.19 meters.
- Junior Emily Casella (Athol, Mass. / Athol) earned a fourth place finish in the discus with a new school record throw of 40.41 meters. She also took fifth in the shot put with a toss of 12.94 meters, while Mikaylah Schwartz (Dracut, Mass. / Dracut) was one spot behind her in the sixth with a throw of 12.73 meters.
- Junior Caroline Leonard (Northborough, Mass. / Algonquin Regional) was third in the javelin with a throw of 42.43 meters, while Casella placed fifth in 39.71 meters. Santee took eighth in the event with a distance of 36.20 meters.
- The team returns to action next weekend when they compete at the Yellow Jacket Invitational at AIC.