- Event: Yellow Jacket Invitational
- Place: 1st/9
- Dates: April 6, 2019
- Location: Springfield, Mass.
- The Lead: The Assumption women's track & field team had a number of strong performances today to finish first at the Yellow Jacket Invitational hosted by AIC on Saturday.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Freshman Victoria Steffon (Holden, Mass. / Wachusett Regional) won the 100 meters by taking the event in 12.31 seconds, just 0.02 seconds off her school record. She also won the 200 meters with a time of 25.24 meters. Senior Abby Jones (Arlington, Mass. / Arlington) placed fourth in the 200 meters (26.18) while Katherine Eckerson (Simsbury, Conn. / Westminster School) placed fifth in 26.45 seconds.
- Freshman Claudia Koontz (Concord, Mass. / Concord-Carlisle) won the 400 meters in a time of 58.53, while Madeleine Iassogna (Marietta, Ga. / Blessed Trinity Catholic) placed third in 59.89 and Maura Geoghegan (Foxborough, Mass. / Foxborough) was right behind her in fourth (1:00.55).
- Jones then won the 100 hurdles in a new school record time of 15.11 seconds. It broke the record she set last year at the NE10 Championship. Olivia DeMonico (North Reading, Mass. / North Reading) took fourth in the event (15.96) while Emma Santee (Westerly, R.I. / Westerly) was sixth in 16.47 seconds.
- Junior Caroline Leonard (Northborough, Mass. / Algonquin Regional) won the javelin with a throw of 40.26 meters, while Casella placed third in 35.92 meters. Santee took seventh in the event with a distance of 33.38 meters.
- Sydney McCann (South Dennis, Mass. / Dennis-Yarmouth) earned a victory in the 1500 meters with her time of 4:52.84. Madison Soullier (Cumberland, R.I. / Cumberland), meanwhile, placed second in the 400 meters hurdles in 1:10.00.
Junior Kialeigh Marston (Standish, Maine / Bonny Eagle) set a new school record in the 1500 meters with her time of 4:38.64, breaking her own record by four seconds. The time is the best in the region this season
- Assumption's 4x400 relay earned a victory, as the quartet of Santee, Iassogna, Geoghegan and Koontz finished in 4:03.87, 29 seconds ahead of its competition.
- Sophomore Amelie Legg (Hamden, N.Y. / Delaware Academy) came through with a second place finish in the pole vault with her height of 3.20 meters. It broke her own school record of 3.19 meters set last year. Gianna Rousseau (Cumberland, R.I. / Cumberland) was 8th with a height of 2.6 meters.
- Eckerson earned a victory in the triple jump with her leap of 10.70 meters. In the long jump, senior Sarah Miller (Hanover, Mass. / Hanover) took second with her distance of 5.38 meters.
- Junior Emily Casella (Athol, Mass. / Athol) won the discus with a throw of 39.76 meters, less than a meter off her school record. Casella also won the shot put with a toss of 13.07 meters, while Tatiana Wiersma (Mendon, Mass. / Whitinsville Christian) placed third with a toss of 11.36 meters.
- Freshman Megan Sheehan (Newton, N.H. / Sanborn Regional) placed third in the hammer with a throw of 41.58 meters, only .03 meters off the school record. She also took second in the discus, hurling it 39.46 meters.
- The team returns to action next weekend when they compete at the Ocean State Invitational, hosted by Providence.