- Event: Merrimack
- Place: 1st
- Dates: April 18, 2019
- Location: North Andover, Mass.
- The Lead: The Assumption women's track & field team set three schools records, including two from Emily Casella (Athol, Mass. / Athol) on the way to a victory over host Merrimack on Thursday afternoon in a dual meet.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Casella was dominant in the dual meet, setting a pair of school records and winning all four throwing events. Her shot put mark of 13.83 meters broke her own school record and was good enough for second in the region. In hammer, her toss of 42.13 meters broke the previous school record by over .50 meters. Casella won discus with a toss of 39.09 meters and then took javelin with a throw of 39.79 meters.
- Senior Abby Jones (Arlington, Mass. / Arlington) set the third school record on Thursday in the long jump. She leapt 6.0 meters, breaking the previous school record by .20 meters and tying for sixth in the nation with her jump. Classmate Sarah Miller (Hanover, Mass. / Hanover) placed second with a jump of 5.55 meters while Therese Rembetsy-Brown (Westminster, Mass. / Oakmont Regional) was third (5.08m).
- Junior Caroline Leonard (Northborough, Mass. / Algonquin Regional) followed Casella in the javelin with her toss of 39.27 meters, while Leslie Roda (New Bedford, Mass. / New Bedford) was fourth in 31.01. Megan Sheehan (Newton, N.H. / Sanborn Regional) took second in the hammer with a throw of 41.94, which would have beat the previous school record, and then placed third in the discus (36.80). Tatiana Wiersma (Mendon, Mass. / Whitinsville Christian) was third in the shot put with her throw of 11.36 meters.
- Sophomore Katherine Eckerson (Simsbury, Conn. / Westminster School) won the triple jump with her leap of 11.13 meters. She also helped the team to a victory in the 4x100 relay with their time of 48.82 seconds. Claudia Koontz (Concord, Mass. / Concord-Carlisle) led off, followed by Eckerson, Emma Santee (Westerly, R.I. / Westerly) and Victoria Steffon (Holden, Mass. / Wachusett Regional).
- Steffon won the 100 meters with a time of 12.50 seconds, followed by Santee (13.10s) and Martine Augusma (Holbrook, Mass. / Holbrook) in 13.19 seconds. Steffon also won the 200 meters with her time of 25.81 seconds. Koontz took second in 26.75 while Eckerson was third (26.85s). Koontz came through with a victory in the 400 meters with her time of 58.96 seconds, followed by Maura Geoghegan (Foxborough, Mass. / Foxborough) in second (1:00.09) and Madeleine Iassogna (Marietta, Ga. / Blessed Trinity Catholic) in 1:00.11.
- Senior Meghan Slinskey (Fishkill, N.Y. / Our Lady of Lourdes) earned a second place finish in the 800 meters with her time of 2:23.19, while Liz Letizio (Westerly, R.I. / Westerly) was third in 2:25.16. Tressa Novack (Scotch Plains, NJ / Union Catholic) came through with a third place finish in the 1500 meters (5:10.59). Senior Sara Amato (North Attleboro, Mass. / Bishop Feehan) earned runner-up finish in the 5000 meters with her time of 19:46.44.
- Assumption's 4x400 relay earned a victory to close the meet, winning by ten seconds in 4:02.55 seconds. The quartet consisted of Geoghegan, Iassogna, Jones and Elena DelloRusso (Milford, Mass. / Milford). The B relay of Alicia Polak (Lowell, Mass. / Lowell), Slinskey, Letizio and Sydney DiGregorio (Medway, Mass. / Medway) took second in 4:12.43.
- Sophomore Amelie Legg (Hamden, N.Y. / Delaware Academy) came through with a victory in the pole vault with her height of 2.90 meters. Abigail McKeown (Plainville, Mass. / King Philip) placed sixth in the high jump with a height of 1.45 meters.
- The team returns to action on April 27 when they compete at the Skyhawk Invitational.