- Score: New Haven 3, Assumption 0
- Records: New Haven (9-3 overall, 1-0 NE10), Assumption (0-7 overall, 0-1 NE10)
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Laska Gymnasium)
- The Lead: In an uphill battle against two-time defending NE10 Champion New Haven, the Assumption Greyhounds were unable to capture a set on Tuesday evening, despite strong efforts from senior captains Kellie Smith (Richland, Mich./Gull Lake) and Kelly Dorandi (Plaistow, N.H./Methuen).
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Assumption and New Haven played even through the opening eight points, however, the Chargers responded with next seven points to grab an 11-4 advantage. The Hounds closed back within six at 13-7, but were never able to get any closer as New Haven pulled away for the 25-11 win.
- In the second set, the Hounds fell behind 7-2 early, before two straight cut the deficit to three points. Six straight points from the Chargers pushed their lead to 13-4 and Assumption was unable to draw closer than eight points the rest of the set as New Haven earned the 25-16 win.
- The Hounds were able to take the lead at the beginning of the third set, leading 2-1 before the Chargers went on a 7-0 run. The Hounds fought back, but were unable to close the gap and New Haven eventually pulled away for a 25-9 set win to capture the match.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- The Hounds had 24 total kills on the night with seven coming from both Smith and Alana Hruska (Marlborough Conn./RHAM). Freshman Alexandra Krawczyk (East Patchogue, N.Y./Bellport) dished off 16 assists on the match along with three digs.
- Smith and Dorandi, ended the night with 11 digs apiece, closely followed by Ariana Orcera (Guaynabo, Puerto Rico/Colegio Marista) with seven.
- Kali Greathed of New Haven led the match in kills with ten while Brianna Mirmina led in digs with 19. Kristine Rios tallied 23 assists on the night.
- Assumption is back on the court Saturday, September 15, to face Southern New Hampshire at 1 p.m.