- Score: Adelphi 3, Assumption 0
- Records: Adelphi (11-3, 2-0 NE10), Assumption (1-9, 1-3 NE10)
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Laska Gym)
- The Lead: Assumption challenged Adelphi in every set but wasn't able to capture a win as the Panthers came away with a three-set sweep of the Hounds on Saturday afternoon in Laska Gym.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Assumption jumped out to a 5-1 lead in the opening set on a kill from Ariana Orcera (Guaynabo, Puerto Rico / Colegio Marista), however, Adelphi responded with a 7-1 run to pull in front 8-6. The teams traded points, and an ace from Kellie Smith (Richland, Mich. / Gull Lake) put the Hounds ahead 15-13. The Panthers tied it up at 17 apiece and took control from there in earning the 25-19 win.
- In the second set, Adelphi came out hot and grabbed a 13-4 advantage, which forced an Assumption timeout. The Hounds were able to closed the gap to five at 16-11 on a kill by Mary Campbell (Plainville, Mass. / Bishop Feehan), but the Panthers finished the set on a 9-3 run to take the set 25-14.
- Assumption opened the third set with a 5-2 lead, though it was short-lived Adelphi responded with the next seven points for a 9-5 advantage. The Hounds kept it close and trailed just 13-11 on a kill by Alexandra Krawczyk (East Patchogue, N.Y. / Bellport). Another run by the Panthers put the set out of reach as they came away with the 25-16 victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Assumption had 24 kills on the afternoon, but 25 attack errors, while Adelphi recorded 39 total kills and 43 digs. The Panthers also added seven aces and eight total blocks.
- Alana Hruska (Marlborough, Conn. / RHAM) led the team with eight kills while Tess Haller (Cape Elizabeth, Maine / Cape Elizabeth) hit .231 with five kills, three digs and two total blocks. Smith paced the defense with 13 digs while Brenna Chrisom (Dover, N.H. / Saint Thomas Aquinas) was also in double figures with 12. Krawczyk, meanwhile, dished off 20 assists with six digs and two aces.
- Cara McKenzie and Sara Bisbe led Adelphi with 11 kills apiece while Grace Wegmann had 19 assists and Katarina Warburton posted 16 digs.
- The Hounds return to action on Tuesday when they travel to face Southern Conn. St. at 7 p.m.