- Score: Assumption 3, Franklin Pierce 2
- Records: Assumption (3-13, 3-7 NE10), Franklin Pierce (5-21, 1-9 NE10)
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Laska Gymnasium)
- The Lead: In a five-set, back and forth battle, the Hounds staved off elmination with a victory in the fourth set and then won an epic fifth set 19-17 to completed a 3-2 victory over Franklin Pierce on Tuesday evening.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- In the first set, the Hounds tallied two 4-0 runs, but that still wasn't enough to fend off the Ravens who went on their own 5-0 run and took the set 25-23.
- The Hounds did not give up easily and put together an 8-0 run to make it 19-11. The Ravens were unable to recover and the Hounds took the second set 25-16.
- The third set was a battle where both teams put together multiple 4-0 runs and there were a total of 14 ties throughout the set. The Ravens scored the final two points and took the set 25-23.
- The Hounds fought hard in the fourth set and went on a 5-0 run forcing Franklin Pierce to take two timeouts. The Hounds led 22-19 coming out of the final Franklin Pierce timeout and captured the three final points of the set to win 25-21.
- In the fifth set, the Hounds came out strong with a 5-0 run to lead 5-2 before the Ravens answered. After that, the set was back and forth with neither team scoring more than two points consecutively until the end where the Hounds put together a 3-0 run to take the set 19-17 and the match 3-2.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Ariana Orcera (Guaynabo, Puerto Rico/Colegio Marista) led the Hounds with 31 digs and added ten kills as well followed by Brenna Chrisom (Dover, N.H./Saint Thomas Aquinas) with 24 digs, Alexandra Krawczyk (East Patchogue, N.Y./Bellport) with 21 digs, and Kelly Dorandi (Plaistow, N.H./Methuen) with 14 digs. The 129 total digs was the seventh highest total in a single match in program history.
- Kellie Smith (Richland, Mich./Gull Lake) reached 1,000 digs in her career tonight with 28 digs and also added 11 kills. She is the eleventh player in program history to reach that milestone.
- Alana Hruska (Marlborough, Conn./RHAM) reached a career high tonight with 23 kills, the most kills in a match for an Assumption player since Lauren Ostafin had 25 in 2013.
- Assumption is on the road Saturday, October 20 at Saint Rose at 1 p.m.