- Score: Bentley 3, Assumption 0
- Records: Bentley (9-15, 5-5 NE10), Assumption (3-15, 3-9 NE10)
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Laska Gymnasium)
- The Lead: Assumption and Bentley battled past 25 in each of the first two sets, 28-26 and 27-25, but the Falcons captured both and won the third 25-21 to come away with a 3-0 victory on Tuesday evening in NE10 action.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Bentley jumped out to a 9-5 lead in the opening set and extended their advantage to 16-10 on an attack error. Ariana Orcera (Guaynabo, Puerto Rico / Colegio Marista) ended the run with a kill, though the Falcons continued to press their advantage. They led 24-21 before three straight points by the Hounds, including a kill by Kellie Smith (Richland, Mich. / Gull Lake), tied it up at 24 apiece. The teams drew even at 25 and 26 before two straight gave Bentley the win.
- The second set was back-and-forth, with the Falcons grabbing a slight 8-6 advantage early. Four consecutive points from Assumption provided an 11-8 lead, though Bentley battled back to take a 16-14 lead. The Falcons led 23-20, before a 4-0 spurt by the Hounds gave them a 24-23 lead. Bentley answered with four of the final five points to win the set 27-25.
- It was even early in the third set as the two teams were tied 10-10. An eventual 7-2 run by Bentley proved a 20-13 lead, however, Assumption was able to pull within three, 22-19, and then 22-21. The Falcons followed with a kill and then consecutive aces to secure the victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Assumption hit .182 in the match with 46 kills and 75 digs. Orcera and Smith both posted double-doubles as Orcera had 11 kills and 16 digs while Smith added 13 kills, 14 digs and two aces.
- Kelly Dorandi (Plaistow, N.H. / Methuen) also came through with a double-double, dishing off 21 assists to go with ten digs and two aces. Tess Haller (Cape Elizabeth, Maine / Cape Elizabeth) registered double-figure kills with ten, while Alexandra Krawczyk (East Patchogue, N.Y. / Bellport) had a game-high 21 digs.
- Kirsten Segaline led Bentley with 38 kills, three aces and 12 digs while Xio Lopp had 29 assists and ten digs.
- Assumption is back in action on Saturday when the team travels to face Saint Anselm at 3 p.m.