- Score: Southern N.H. 3, Assumption 0
- Records: Southern N.H. (7-7, 2-1 NE10), Assumption (3-12, 1-4 NE10)
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Laska Gymnasium)
- The Lead: Assumption battled back in the first set and led for a majority of the second before the Penmen gained momentum and won the match 3-0.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- In the first set, Southern N.H. took a quick 11-3 lead that forced the Hounds to take a timeout. After the timeout, Assumption strung together some points slowly notching away at the Penmen's lead. The Hounds were able to get within one (19-18) before the Penmen took control and scored the final four points of the set to win 25-21.
- The Hounds jumped out to a good start in the second set with a 3-0 lead that grew to 8-4 quickly. Assumption scored five straight to extend their lead to eight (14-6) before the Penmen could string more than one point together. Southern N.H. answered with four unanswered points themselves to get within two (16-14) and then scored five consecutive points to take the lead at 19-18. It was a back-and-forth battle the rest of the way until the Penmen edged the Hounds 25-23 for the 2-0 advantage headed into the third set.
- The Penmen kept their momentum into the third set when they took a 4-0 lead. The lead grew to 9-3 before Assumption could get two consecutive points. After four-straight for the Penmen (14-7), the Hounds answered with three points themselves. Southern N.H. took control after that and scored four unanswered and five unanswered to take the set 25-12 and the match 3-0.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- The Hounds are on the road Saturday, October 12 against Adelphi at 1 p.m.